August 15, 2012

the AJ Fernandez Pinolero

I was smart enough during cigar week in Orlando to pay my way into the Charmed Leaf boutique party at the World of Beer here in Orlando. I ran into some of the people I had already met and learned a lot from. I stayed to the end and was lucky enough to meet some of the BOTL that I tweet with as much as I can. The night was a $20 ticket and you get 5 cigars and 2 beers, a worthwhile investment in my book any day. I ended up with 22 cigars and 4 beers just the kind of bargain I am always up for. I didn't win any of the raffles and I didn't get to meet Eddie Ortega, or Gary Griffin, big disappointment. I did get to meet Skip from hava cigar and he is as nice as can be. I want my Knuckle Draggers dammit. I took all the cigars from the night put them in my small perfect humidor for as long as I could wait, and tonight we start our Journey. I ran into Jeff from AJ Fernandez and he gave me one of the new Pinolero.

  The Pinolero is a nice looking cigar, and the wrapper feels like the velvet from an Elvis painting in the 70's. The band has a lot of nice artwork and the foot has a nice knotted cap. The cold draw has a nice maple syrup flavor to it. the lighting was very easy and the burn even through the 1st third. The draw on this cigar is perfect just the right amount of smoke, I don't have to work to get a nice plume of smoke to enjoy. The first puffs started out with a lot of promise but unfortunately was sort of bland through the first third. the second third is a little more flavorful with some spice and pepper mixed in.  The light pepper and lime or citrus flavors are the overtones of the second third of the cigar. I am enjoying this better than the start, My toungue is getting a nice little sting during the intake but the retrohale does not burn.  This cigar is a long way away from the oval and the maduro and I would say in the lighter to medium body. My palate tends to like the medium to fuller body flavors so it's not knocking me out and making me think I need to get me some more of these. I'm thinking maybe they need to age a little more, but if that's the case don't rush them on to the market. I won't be trading in my ovals for this cigar. Unfortunately the Pinolero has not earned any spots in my humidors. The final third is picking up in flavor but not enough to change my mind. I still like the San Lotano oval, Connecticut, and Maduros and they are staples in my Humidors.






The Newbie

No comments: