April 9, 2012

A busy week

It was a busy week between work, golf, the Masters, and cigars. On Tuesday I started the day with a round of Golf at Red Tail golf club with old carguy. He loves my cigar adventures because he gets to smoke some of the best cigars out there.

We enjoyed The San Lotano Maduro Toro. As always the San Lotano did it's job giving enjoyment from the first light to the burnt fingers trying to get the last little bit. I don't know what it is with these cigars they are just fanatastic and super consistent.

 After taking the Mrs. out for lunch I had to go to Edwin Watts to swap out the wrong cleat replacements they gave me. I had taken the shoes in with me. No big deal just wanted to swap them out, after waiting about 5 minutes for them  to even notice I was there, I had explained what I wanted to do, and they were fine with that. I still got the wrong ones and they just let me get them. You would think if a customer came in earlier that day bought cleat replacements and they were wrong, you might want to make sure they got the right thing.  I have always thought the service in this particular store is lacking. The sad part is I have bought equipment there before because they are my closest retailer for Golf equipment exclusively.

There  is a neat little smoke shop called Ol times Cigars in Casselberry Florida and I was right down the street so I stopped in. I introduced myself to the owner  got his name but due to CRS disease I can't remember it.
 Really nice people, got to talking with the owner, and since there was a drew estate event the next day that I couldn't make, I checked to see if they had a Liga Privada T52, They had one. I told the owner "I'll take it",  he was "I'm not sure I can" , but I said "just tell Jason it was for me" and gave him my blog card. I also found a EP Carillo short run 2011 they are both resting nicely.


 Later that night I was trying a GH2 habano and I was unimpressed to say the least. This is one of those thrown in my sampler cigars and I let it rest 2 months and it still wasn't up to even my minimum standards. I won't be buying any of these again.

Wednesday was a work day but I had an end of the day cigar and it was so forgettable that I don't even remember what it was, CRS strikes again. That's bad after all I am a cigar blogger, but a Newbie.

Thursday I had a Perdomo 10th anniversary and it was ok but nothing to get excited about, and then that night I had a Drew Estates Natural, not a bad smoke but the wrapper was too sweet and took away from the cigar.

 Friday was my early night so I went to my Corona Cigar company store in Lake Mary. I got there in time to watch the end of the Masters, have a couple of Dos equis darks and a E. P. Carrillo Short Run Nitidos. I was underwhelmed again it's been a tough week, especially since the Exquitos is one of my favorite cigars.
There was Just something about the bigger cigar that was disappointing. At this point I have had 5 cigars in 4 days that just did not do it for me. I start  thinking  "is it me"?


Saturday before work I am trying to pick out something that is going to make me forget the disappointing week and put my faith back in to my obsession. I figured how can I go wrong, I picked up the Crowned Heads, Four Kicks.

 The reviews have all been good, the cigar has been resting for a couple of months. I need this cigar to blow me away and it was good but not the stick of dynamite I needed. This was my first one and because it was good , but not exceptional I will give it another chance before evaluation. I get home late enough and I watched TV with the girls so that finished my day again, without a cigar that made me proud to be a smoker.

Sunday Morning 7:32 Tee time at my local course, Wekiva Country Club.  A nice course surrounded by lots of exceptional courses. I live 5 minutes from here and on a Sunday Its a great escape for usually right around 20 bucks. I get to the course and here is what I run into no starter, a foursome has gone out already but they are 2 holes ahead no problem. A guy and his wife or girlfriend, and 2 guys by themselves, then me alone. The couple tee off and it's not pretty, but not god awful either. I ask the 2 guys if I can tag along figuring with 3 of us  and the groups in front the way they are layed out it should move fine. We start to tee off and these guys are on the green tees, they are for very good ladies or really old people. I told them I need to at least play the whites and they were fine with that. We all tee off and none of us look like pros. but I end up scrambling a 5 on a par 4, but I left the 2 guys on their own after one of the guys 10th shot and he is still on the fairway. He just let me know he had  taken his first lesson yesterday. Adios muchacho....I go up to the second, bomb my drive and see about passing the couple, make a par. They are still not on the letting me through program, but on a Par 5 I catch up to them and ask if I can go through, and they let me know there are 3 4somes in front of us then I said well can I join you then? I join them all is well. this is all a precursor to my first happy cigar since Tuesday at golf.


The Knuckle Dragger to the rescue. 2 months of rest sitting at the bottom of Humidor #1 which is a consistent 72% rh at all times. I took this out of my carrier while waiting for the female of our group, sniffed it, cut it, lit it, and proceeded  to absolutely relish my 1st cigar of the day.

 The only bad thing I can say about the Knuckle Dragger is I have only 2 left to last me until August. I finished that one to the nub and had 6 holes to go. What to do, oh what the Heck I lit up the CAO OSA Sol lot 50 I had brought just in case. I like these cigars and use them as my go to fillers, or long drive in my golf/work car. It doesn't matter that it smells like cigar smoke. I am happy I am satisfied and my faith in cigar smoking has returned to a reality. Last night late I was pondering if I should have another one for the weekend. I chose the Alec Bradley Prensado robusto and it was a great finish to a glorious smokers day. 


I have come to realize that I am a Robusto guy more than the Churchill guy. I think what I have noticed is the Robusto is really the right size, in most cases, for my time, and tastes, though I really like the Gran toro Oval too.


Oh and a final note congratulations to Bubba Watson on his Masters win. 










The Newbie

No comments: