April 15, 2012

The Nomad Cigars

A new cigar has hit the market recently from Orlando Florida, right down the street from me. Nomad Cigars, they are available in 5 different sizes.

Drifter – With a full 6″ in length and 60 Ring Size, the Drifter has become the new trend. The biggest of the bunch comes with…
Dominican Filler & Binder and the traditional Nomad Habano Ecuadorian Wrapper.

Navigator – This 6″ Torpedo is sure to please with its smooth draw and traditional shape. Always a classic.
Dominican Binder and Filler with our signature Habano Ecuadorian Wrapper.

Renegade – A traditional 5 1/2 x 54 Robusto packed with flavor. Don’t let the “Renegade” name fool you, this one has a soft side.
Yep, Dominican Filler and Binder. Habano Ecuadorian Wrapper.

Vagabond – 4 5/8 in length with a max ring size of 54 (the Vagabond is tapered on both ends). This cigar is a mini version of the Fugitive. For when you are short on time, but don’t want to give up the experience.
See a trend in excellence yet? Dominican Filler and Binder. Habano Ecuadorian Wrapper.

Fugitive – The 2012 Limited Edition is only available direct from Nomad. It is 5 7/8 in length with a max ring size of 64 (the Fugitive is tapered on both ends).
Dominican Binder and Filler with Habano Ecuadorian Wrapper. This is Nomad’s most popular smoke.

  * The descriptions above are right from the Nomad website but describes them very well *
 
 I have not tried all 5 yet I have had the Vagabond, Fugitive, and the Renegade. I got the 5 pack because I couldn't decide.

 *picture from the Nomad website

I had the Vagabond about a week ago. I am very impressed that I can get the amount of smoke from a cigar this tightly wrapped and tapered at each end. This is a very nice cigar with lots of flavors that you would get in a medium and just slightly leaning toward the full body side. This is a very smooth cigar with no harsh bite or pepper spices. So if you are looking for something to smoke that won't take you long, due to it's diminutive size but want all the flavor of a larger medium body cigar then this is a nice choice.

Last night after a long day at work I headed to my porch for a real testing of the Nomads. I am more of a Robusto kind of guy, I have found it is the right size for me unless I am playing golf. I take the Renegade and go through my light up, and evaluation ritual. I use a straight cut, smell the cigar, sniff the foot, and take a couple of cold draws. I get some nice dark flavors leaning toward the coffee or chocolate but not overpowering. I light the Renegade and anticipating maybe a heavy spice start but it never came, but that doesn't mean it wasn't flavorful it was. This cigar filled my mouth and nose  with tons of white billowing smoke. The flavors are consistent throughout the cigar, but with not many major changes. So the Renegade is very good just not overly complex.

A little while ago I tried the Fugitive The flavors are all good  but truly not getting the smoke I got from the other 2. I found I was working to hard to get a good draw of smoke. I am The Newbie so I might have cut it wrong or something but I just couldn't get it to smoke properly. I will blame this on me because I have made lots of mistakes on this journey. You got to remember this all started in February 2012.

My overall impression of the Nomads is that they are very good and I am looking forward to smoking the Navigator, and the Drifter I have left. These cigars are very nice looking with a medium colored wrapper, and a bit of an oily texture you would think of more on a dark wrapper. I will keep these in my boxes because they are good. This is a new brand and my opinion is they are definitely  worth trying out. I got the 5 pack sampler and I am very glad I did. 

My reviews don't have numbers because, I am to new, to get that exact. So would I buy a box? No but I definitely will get a 5 pack of the Renegades I really liked them. I would also get some Vagabonds for the times I need a quick smoke. 





The Newbie

No comments: