February 21, 2012

Another day of Golf

We played golf again this morning and when we started it was a frigid 57 degrees but was 70 by the time we were done. I brought 2 cigars with me. I offered old car guy the opportunity to choose which one he wanted. the Arturo Fuente Gran reserva or the Perdomo lot 23. I told him my research had the Perdomo lot 23 about 80% of the people liked it. He then chose the Gran Reserva. I am really glad he did, because I had the Perdomo.  I wasn't ready for this cigar, I was anticipating something more in line with the Rocky Patel signature. The Perdomo was a delight from the original smells, the cold draw, the lighting and all the way through. the first 3 or 4 puffs had a peppery start and then smoothed right out. still in the 1st third of this cigar and I was already getting the smooth creamy caramel feeling of this cigar. The burn on the cigar was even for the most part, not perfect but not a detriment either.

a nice long cool ash with a salt and pepper look to it. Please excuse the coffee cup but my golf cigar holder won't be here til next Wednesday. I was playing golf and during a wait, at about the halfway point of the cigar, it went out. I let it sit for about 10 minutes, cleaned up the area and relit the cigar. It just stayed tasty right up to the very end. I haven't started putting numbers on my tastings yet but if i did this one would start with a 9. My grading system is would I buy a box of these or not. My humidor capacity at this time is limited to about 65 cigars so a box would be hard to do, however I would definitely buy a 5 pack and gladly offer this to anyone interested in a cigar with a medium body and flavor.

Old car guy doesn't breakdown a cigar but I always try to pry his feelings out about the cigar he is smoking. All I can tell you is he enjoyed the Arturo Fuente very much. He said it would be somewhere between the top 10 and 20 cigars he ever smoked. He has been smoking cigars for 20+ years so I think that means it was good.

The Golf, up until this year I probably played 100 rounds of golf over 26 year period, and hadn't played at all for the last 5 years. I don't know why but last April I just decided I was ready to play golf again. I play at least once a week and every other week I get 2 rounds. I love being here in Central Florida because pretty much any day I want I can get a round of golf in for under $40 and that's on the high side. Today I got 2 pars and 5 bogeys, I am finally starting to get better.

The Newbie
 

No comments: