February 14, 2012

A conversation between the Newbie and the Aficionado

 After the original order was placed, and I went nuts (see yesterdays Post) I asked the Aficionado a question about humidors.

The Aficionado
I have three humidors, but am only using two, my travel one and the 500 count one in my office at home. I really don’t have any need for the third one at the moment, but I have thought about putting it in my office.

El Paso’s extremely low humidity makes keeping a humidor more of a challenge than other places. Where you’re at, you might never have any issues, but here getting a passive system to stay above 60% is a nightmare. I finally got a cigar oasis system, and I’ll never go back. It is an electronic system that checks the humidity every 5 seconds. If it drops, the fans come on and add humidity to the humidor, if it is high, it stays off until the humidity drops. It stays spot on 70 unless I open it, and I couldn’t be happier.

They come in all sizes for different size humidors and run about 100.00. For my travel humidor I just use a humidipac, a special pouch that keeps smaller humidors at a specific humidity. They are great, and frankly I would use them on any humidor up to about 25 cigars.

Always use distilled water, and you can use some propylene glycol solution if you want, but don’t use that with an oasis system.

You’ll need a good cutter, and a nice torch lighter, and a good cigar ashtray is a big plus too. Trying to use a cigarette ashtray is a pain in the neck.

The last thing I might recommend would be a cigar diary. They make them specifically, but you can use any small spiral notebook. Tape or glue the band, make any notes you want about the cigar, such as texture, country it was made in, wrapper and blend, and any tasting notes. Most importantly give it your own rating.

No matter what rating someone else gives, the most important thing is what you think, and how you like it. Cigar Aficionado rates the Padron Aniversario 1926 as one of their highest rated cigars year in and year out, but I personally think the 1963 is the better cigar. Both are good, and highly rated, but for my money the 63 is far and away the better cigar, and I have had many smokers agree with me. At the end of the day, it isn’t about cost, or ratings or what anyone else thinks, it is about what you like, and if you like it, you can’t be wrong.

The Newbie


I asked a question earlier about the java and mocha type cigars and should I get another Humidor.
 

The Aficionado


Oh, I will say that I have found most flavored cigars to be a waste of time. They will not mix well, as they will stink up your good ones and most are not the greatest blends of tobacco. I do like Al Capone cognac dipped cigarillos, but probably more because they were really the first cigar I took too, than because they were a good cigar.

As for stacking them, there is no problem putting them on top of each other. Wrappers on or off is a personal preference. Some smokers like it, and think that their whole humidor will create a total blend as they age, and that taking the wrapper off will accelerate the process. I leave them on to slow it down, but I really couldn’t say if it matters.

Enjoy them, we’ll have to get together soon and compare notes.


The Newbie
Cool good info. I was thinking of going with the pouches for the 18 and a beaded gel type for the bigger one, and humidity won't be an issue here.....already got the distilled water. Have 2 cutters they both have been used very sparingly and do a nice job no issue there. I know I need  a lighter but I thought I might start with wooden matches for now. I will be looking for 2 ashtrays one for the golf cart I have seen and one for home.

The diary was definitely on my list for all the reasons you stated. I want to grade them, so I know what I like and what I don't. That is why I went with so many different ones, my trial by fire. I am going to list them, describe them and who knows maybe blog about them,(that statement started this whole thing) I could do the cheap side, you could do the expensive side ;-) might even throw in some good bourbon talk.  I got a bottle of this last week just to mix things up... a florida micro brew bourbon 90 proof very smooth 1st sip bite then smooths out has a bit of a sweetness to it but not as much as say the honey whiskeys...      Palm Ridge Reserve™ $59  not cheap but I liked it. Somebody says I should try Blantons next. Unfortunately it takes me 6 months to a year to drink a fifth,  and of course I always have Makers Mark as my steady bourbon. I had to buy Crown royal for the Washington apple shot  we were introduced to on vacation and the Mrs. liked it  so we got the fixings and they have diet cranberry juice. crown/apple pucker/cranberry  very tasty but I still haven't tried the crown neat or on the rocks so I can't say how I like it.

anyway I am rambling thanks for your help and I will be asking lots of questions

1st new question when I read the reviews they mention pepper a lot what do they mean?

The Aficionado
Pepper would be a spicy bite. You get that a lot, as well as other flavors, and leathery type of tastes. It would be fun to do the blog ( so we have started one). If you can find it, try a brand that is just called Vintage Bourbon. Same price, very good. Blanton’s is great as well, but not an everyday Bourbon.

The Newbie
We both drink Maker's Mark as our everyday Bourbon  the big difference is I am also a Beer guy I will drink just about any beer but when I am home and not being fancy Yuengling Lager is my favorite, where the Aficionado tends to stay with his Makers Mark

The Newbie and The Aficionado
 

No comments: