February 26, 2012

My first Event the San Lotano Event Lake Mary, FL

On Friday night I went to my first cigar event. I was hoping to meet Cigar Maker AJ Fernandez, but a family matter did not allow AJ to be there. My prayers go out to AJ and his family.

I did however have the pleasure of meeting Kris Katchourian, Mike Julfaian, and Jeffrey Groover.  These gentlemen were very engaging, knowledgeable, and shared information that a newbie like me found invaluable.

I am just starting to enjoy and even understand cigars. I introduced myself To Jeffrey and told him we had a little blog about cigars that we had just started. I also explained that I was a very new cigar smoker (The Newbie) and I was drawn to the brand from all the reviews I had read. The oval has gotten so much praise that I had bought one before the event but hadn't had a chance to try it. Kris then interjected and gave me a corona to smoke. I immediately dropped everything, cut the end, and lit the cigar. Kris said that the true test of a quality cigar was in the ability to get flavor, and smoke from a corona with a 44 vs the toro or robusto with a 54. The cigar started out with the bite or pepper that many cigars have, but as smoked further it smoothed out nicely and was just a joy to smoke. Kris said he liked the corona for a quick and easy smoke when he didn't have time to smoke the larger versions. I put Kris on the spot and asked him what does he smoke other than the San Lotanos, he did admit to smoking the man o wars once in a while, but he liked the San Lotanos more and I had to laugh because the Man O Wars are also made by AJ Fernandez. Jeffrey was smoking the Connecticut and he said they were his favorite.

While we enjoyed our cigars I tried to ask the right questions and get answers that made sense to me. I asked what does San Lotano do in making the cigars to get the premium quality of their cigars compared to other companies. Kris stated it started with AJ "he is a genius when it comes to getting the right blends to make a great cigar". Kris the said one of the differences in their production was in the fermenting of the tobacco. I then of course asked what is involved in the actual fermenting of the tobacco and how it is done. He told me it has to do with turning the leafs and that most companies don't want to turn them as long or as often due to the damage that can be done to the leaf.  The more the leaf is moved the higher probability of damage to the leaf creating more loss of the product but Kris said AJ didn't care as much about that, he cares more about the quality of the product. Well AJ in my opinion you have done a great job. I thoroughly  enjoyed my oval to the end. I just kind of hung around and watched the progress of the event and the selling of cigars. I have been in sales basically all my adult life and watching Jeffrey interact with the people was a joy. Jeffrey was very engaging with the customers in the store answering questions, making recommendations, and just having fun. I think the most fun was with a customer who had earlier bought another cigar for twice as much money and he only smoked the first third and put it out. Jeffrey engaged the gentleman and his 4 friends and had them laughing high fiving, and busting each others balls. They ended up buying 5 cigars each.

I can see why this is such a great cigar, oh and by the way I was also smoking my second cigar of the night. The Connecticut was very smooth and creamy so you think hmmm must be wimpy, nope halfway through I had to get a stool to sit on, it snuck right up on me. Ok sorry about that ramble. The reason I think the San Lotano  line is so successful is the people . Good people going the extra mile to get the right blend, good people to ship and make sure the orders are right, Mike you must have thought I forgot about you. Good people marketing them. So Kris, Mike, and Jeffrey thank you for an enjoyable evening of cigars, conversation, and brotherhood of the leaf.

Thank you Corona Cigar company  in Lake Mary for this great night, Andrew and Tommy thank you for your help.





Just a side note this morning at Golf I smoked the Oval Toro I have had resting for a short 3 weeks, and it was an absolute joy to smoke and Kris it was even smoother than the Corona.



The Newbie
 

No comments: