February 12, 2012

A cigar tale from a newbie and the aficionado

It all started as a whim. While playing golf I like a stogie to slow me down and to relax. I know nothing about cigars and I mean nothing. I have read some reviews, but when I've gone to the local stores I've never seen what I am looking for and have been overwhelmed by the choices.

I spoke to the aficionado, asked for some help, and again was overwhelmed by all the choices and the lack of knowledge. The only way I could understand was that the aficionado and I got together and came up with a starter kit.  When you look at the kit, know that I already have a cutter, a cheap butane torch lighter, and a desire for a good cigar. "What's good?" I ask the aficionado. His best answer was "the ones you like"... GREAT, that's no help. When the starter kit was picked the idea was to be able to try several different cigars and try to find the ones that I like.

This was the kit that I was able to put together.


Boveda One-Step Seasoning Kit For 25 - 50 Cigars 1
Hygro-Thermometer 2 3/4 Inch Diameter 1
Xikar Drymistat Humidifier 25 Cigar Humidifier 1
'Private Stash' Traveler humidor holds 18 cigars With Humidifier 1
'Best Of Habano'                 Sampler Sampler of 10
varies 1
Famous Medium Body Sampler 'Q' Sampler of 5                  varies 1 total cost less than $100
I also picked up 2 CAO OSO sol lot 50

The shipment arrived last night. I think the UPS guy thought I was nuts. I was thanking him for getting them to me and I was like a kid on Christmas morning.

I got the box on the dining room table and started to open it up and found everything was in perfect condition, and packed well. I opened the box for the humidor and was sort of shocked at how small it was, but it fit all but 2 of the cigars.  Those will have to go into another box ( I'll get to that later). I had watched several different videos on YouTube  on how to set up the humidor and spent the night painting the inside with distilled water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA08vNu-Vtc


That video was just one of many I watched. I finished up by putting the cloth on the plastic for the night.

No comments: