March 16, 2012

The Aficionado and a celibratory cigar


My boss was over a few nights ago, and to celebrate a major promotion he received I went to the bottom tray of my humidor where I keep the real rare reserve cigars that I want to let age. I do that because I have to lift off two layers of trays as well as taking out the oasis humidifier, and it is such a pain that I tend to leave them alone unless it is a very special occasion.


For my boss, a very rare Lost City Forbidden X, an exquisite cigar 
created by the Fuentes.  These cigars were only produced in a very limited run, because the tobacco was grown, out of season, so that Andy Garcia could film a scene for the movie Lost City, a story about the exodus of Cuban tobacco farmers after the Castro takeover, and subsequent nationalization of their farms.


Mr. Garcia was superb in For Love of Country, the story of the defection of Arturo Sandoval who is an extraordinary musician, both are films worth checking out if you haven’t seen them. Both men are friends with the Fuentes and enthusiastic cigar aficionados in their own right.


For myself I selected one of my last four 2004 God of Fire Piramides. 
This was the first release year for the God of Fire line, and each cigar was individually boxed. The 2004 release was only part of a humidor set, the only way to get individual cigars was to find a dealer that bought one and broke it up. In later years Prometheus released individual boxes, but even then it would be two years before the Piramides was re-released.


After aging an additional seven plus years, the cigar was nothing short of amazing. It had a creamy, rich flavor that had no bite at all, just a smooth silky texture on the tongue. God of Fires are a robust cigar, and not for the inexperienced, but I have rarely found a cigar that was richer and more pleasant to smoke.


This cigar however transcended even the best that I had experienced. The complex flavors had mellowed and mixed to create something that may have been perfection. It was so good, that I have been tempted to grab another, however I will wait for them to age even more before having another. 

The Aficionado

 

No comments: