March 26, 2012

It Was a Quiet Evening

It was a quiet evening on the home front, nothing on TV, and as I started to get some things together  the wife says "going on the porch", That's just where I was headed. It is a nice night in the Central Florida area. I had grabbed an AF-2 earlier in the day but after the day I had I think I just wanted something a little simpler. I grabbed a Ghurka Royal Challenge, the wife checked out the wrapper and thought it was cool. I then showed her some rough spots, had a vein sort of popping out and I was a little worried about the burn.

I get out to the porch did my little before light ritual and I am not overly impressed, I am getting a little hay off the foot, the head nothing, cold draw nothing. Oh boy have I made a mistake? I shrugged my shoulders and did my "whatever". I light it up and I get a nice small little pepper start and a creamy feeling. OK now I am interested. This was a very smooth, nothing over the top creamy smoke. lots of little hints of flavors beckoning me to figure them out. I was getting lots of smoke without too much effort. A very nice cool burn and a nice tight ash. I had been worried about the burn because of the one bad section, but I gotta say this cigar burned as nicely as any cigar I have ever smoked. The middle third of the Royal Challenge was just what I had wanted tonight, nothing to knock me over, just a smooth relaxing smoke. At about the 2 inch mark left, it started to get bitter so I put it down, we were both  done.

The question is always, would I buy a box? I would seriously consider it, but a 5 pack is already on my shopping list these are that good. If you remember my first Ghurka experience was not very good, in fact of all the smokes I have had, I would say the Ancient warrior was the worst. Well Ghurka you made it up to me with this one. I have to thank Victor Vitale because on a night with him, picking  cigars outside of his brands, he told me to pick that one up. I am glad I did.

Want a light smooth easy smoke, pick up a Ghurka Royal Challenge

The Newbie

No comments: