March 6, 2012

The aficionado's take on smoking past the band sometimes yes sometimes no

The reason many experienced cigar aficionados do not smoke past the band is that in longer cigars or those with larger ring gauges tars and residue are drawn down the length of the cigar as you smoke it. By the time you have smoked 2/3 of the cigar, the concentration of these can build up to a point that they will begin to ooze into your mouth creating a bitter taste, as well as burning up and tainting the smoke as well. This can ruin a perfectly good cigar experience and the last impression you’re left with is not a good one.

I find it depends on the cigar. If I start to notice the taste changing and becoming unpleasant, then it’s probably time to put it out. If the flavor stays wonderful, or gets better, I’ll smoke until I can’t hold onto it any longer. I have had a few that were so good that I longed for the sort of smoking clips I had in my misspent youth so I could get the very last bit of them.

I also gauge the band as a “finish line” of sorts. As long as I have enough time to get to that point, I won’t worry about putting it out after that. I personally hate letting a cigar go out and trying to relight it later, as I find that will turn the nicest cigar into something truly nasty, imparting a bitter taste to the cigar and even changing the smell on your clothes after. Once I reach the band, I figure I have gotten my money’s worth, and simply don’t worry about it.

Also a side note, NEVER try and save a partially smoked cigar by putting it in a humidor. It will impart that same taste to the rest of your cigars, and will even contaminate your humidor to the point where throwing it out may be the only option. 

The Aficionado 
 

No comments: