March 2, 2012

the 601 blue label maduro robusto

This was my first 601 of any kind and I chose the blue because of all the things I had read. My first impressions are this is a very nice cigar. The 601 is very nice looking cigar with a dark oily wrapper, and the band design is simple but very good looking.

The cool draw was spicy but not over powering, The 601 lit very easily especially since I didn't have my torch and did it the old fashion way with a wooden match. The first couple of draws had a slight spice or pepper that was not overpowering. The first third of the cigar was enjoyable while I tried to identify all the flavors I was experiencing. the burn was slightly askew but not bad and again I will blame some of that on lighting it with a match instead of the torch.
I felt the draw was a little loose and smoke was billowing out of the cigar, but it was very nice smelling and tasting. About half way into the 601 I tasted a citrus flavor I had never tasted before. I am really enjoying this cigar. when I got into the final third the 601 became very interesting with enough spice to numb the tongue but just the right amount not enough to scare away this newbie. I also started to get some leather like flavors and texture. I am sitting at my desk writing this blog and realizing the 601 has a pretty good kick to it.

Overall I liked the 601 and am glad I have another one to try after it rests while I try out something else. My humidors are packed and even though I sent The Aficionado a good amount of cigars I  still need to make room for the 5 Padron 1964 anniversaries coming. I may have to send him some more just to make room.

The Newbie

No comments: