March 20, 2012

The Padron 1964 anniversary

My first try with the Padron 1964 anniversary was less than successful, but it was not the cigars fault. Tonight I got home from getting up at 5 in the morning to go to a training course in Jacksonville. I was tired but really in the mood for a slow relaxing cigar. I pulled out  my humidors, I am now up to 4. I have 2 small ones that hold about 15 cigars each, and 2 that hold up to 50.

 One of the small ones has my must try cigars in it and they are unwrapped and resting at a perfect 70rh and 72 degrees. This was my first humidor and by far my favorite, it is rock steady, constant perfection.


After some reflection I decided tonight was the night for a 64. I grabbed my kindle, cutter, torch, and ashtray and headed for the porch. Our curious kitten of 14 weeks came out with me and we proceeded to relax in perfect 72 degree slight breeze here in Central Florida. I have sniffed this cigar, smelled the foot, and cut the head. the cold draw was perfect a hint of spice,  mixture of cocoa, and tobacco. The light was even and the draw was perfect. The first few puffs were peppery but smooth at the same time. Then the cigar just smoothed out and was absolutely exquisite and just what I needed after a long day. I enjoyed the cool draw this cigar produced and the long ash was perfectly even all the way to the end. The first ash I knocked off at the halfway point so I wouldn't end up wearing it. The 64 was flavorful through the first 2/3 and in the final 1/3 the spice picked up again and then ended in nice sweet note. I haven't started putting numbers on my cigars yet but have evaluated them by would I buy  more. The answer is a resounding yes and has worked it's way to my top five. I have 4 more of these in my boxes so I don't need to run out and get any today, but I will always have at least one available.

On another note I have bugged Gary Griffith the cigar maker for Emilio cigars to get a retail outlet here in Central Florida, but none yet. No problem I broke down and got 5 of each the AF-1, AF-2, The Grimalkin from the really great guys at Buckhead cigar. The order came in tonight so I know there will be one of these in the near future.


The Newbie

No comments: