March 6, 2012

An Undercrown relaxing, after golf and a San Lotano Oval morning

I golfed again today with old car guy. I introduced him to the San Lotano Oval  and he loved it, I think I am spoiling him with all these good cigars. I had also given one to another novice smoker and he came in to work and was" wow that A J you gave me was awesome".  After golf, a trip to costco with the wife, and a honey do, I  got to relax with a cigar on the porch. Today's cigar was one of my highly anticipated cigars, the Undercrown by Drew Estates. In humidor #1 I have some of the top cigars available according to all the reports I have read and The Undercrown was one of them. The Undercrown was one of my local store purchases in the very beginning of my cigar Journey and has been resting for a month. I wanted to smoke this one relaxing, and enjoying it, rather than sneaking it in a quiet time at work or while driving. I am glad I waited.

My impressions of the Undercrown. I was so impressed by the smell of this cigar I even had my wife smell it. The chocolate overtones of this cigar were very obvious but not overpowering. The cold draw had a hint of spice and chocolate. In retrospect I think this would have been very good with a cup of coffee. I had my torch and lit the cigar and was immediately hit with a sweet pepper taste, though the pepper did not last long, and that's not a bad thing. The draw was perfect and I was getting lots of smoke.This was especially surprising considering we have consistent wind today and High wind warnings for later tonight.
The Undercrown was a pleasing smoke with lots of smooth flavor. Sweet chocolate and caramel undertones without being like a flavored cigar. The burn was not perfect and I did have to do some repair about halfway in but I will partially blame the wind. The cool burn created an nice gray ash that I eventually knocked off myself so I wouldn't get covered in ash. The second third of this cigar was smooth and relaxing in taste one small hint of mint and the texture  just allowed me to enjoy my afternoon smoke.




As you can see the Undercrown is a beautifully made cigar that is firm but not to firm, a nice ash, a great taste with a dark oily wrapper. The question is would I buy a box of the Undercrown. If I had the room I would definitely buy a box, but for now I still have one resting and will be looking forward to always having some of these waiting for me in my humidors.

I really liked the Undercrown I found it to be a mild to medium cigar even though it has the dark wrapper. I am a Newbie so I might have that wrong but it didn't knock me on my butt. You can see I enjoyed this one to the very end.
Thanks for coming, The Newbie

No comments: