March 14, 2012

Busy week at work so no time to relax and evaluate.

I have been really busy at work and that's a good thing. I am an automobile salesman and have been with the same brand since 1990 I have seen ups and downs in this business many times. Right now we are in an exceptional upswing, Now I sell VW's and they have increased business almost 45% for the year over last which was up from the year before, so that may be part of it but our used business is through the roof too. I haven't had the time to sit down relax and just enjoy a cigar, I however have snuck them in between closing and home, or early evening whenever I can.

Yesterday I put 3 cigars in my travel humidor and due to time constraints I smoked the Knuckle Dragger from CroMagnon. When these cigars came in I had to smoke one right away and I enjoyed it and reviewed it while barbecuing.

 I have to say after 7 weeks of rest this cigar was so much better than the first one. The original spice mellowed over time and though it was  still there it was smoother and more enjoyable. I have sent several of these to the Aficionado so I will try to put him on one and maybe have him give me his feeling. My biggest problem with these are I have to ration them because they are pretty much sold out until August and I only have 3 left.

The Aficionado's take on the Knuckle Dragger 


As for the Knuckle Dragger, I had one last night and it was very good. Very nice appearance, dark, oily wrapper with an excellent feel and smell.

I was initially concerned when I clipped the top (I use a cross V cut creating an X) that the cigar was wrapped too tightly, and I would have issues with keeping it lit and getting a good draw, but as soon as I lit it I was very pleasantly surprised. It was a dense draw, but delivered a satisfying amount of smoke.

The burn was perfectly even and much slower than expected due to the density, and the initial draw was very smooth, with a tiny hint of a bite. Perhaps it’s only drawback was its size. Being as short as it was, I found that the smoke tended to blow back a bit more than I cared for especially as I got down past the last third. Unfortunately, even the best smoke will make my eyes water. That being said, it was a very nice flavorful cigar which had an aromatic taste, creamy complexity and occasional peppery bites.

I would definitely add these to my humidor, and am very curious about what a 6 to 12 months of aging would do for them. I plan to pop one away to find out.


Monday night I had the opportunity to try my 1st Padron 1964 Anniversary. I had just received these from my bargain on cigar auctioneer I got Padron 1964 Anniversary Natural Monarca 5 Pack for $34
Thought I did pretty good. I was very interested in this cigar and since I had seven of them 2 from earlier purchases and these I figured give them a try. I had been with 2 extremely knowledgeable cigar Aficionados last Thursday and Friday and when going through the store and picking cigars they pointed the 1964's out I told them I had them already. Brian wanted to know what I thought and I told him I was letting them rest and wanted to smoke one in a relaxed slow atmosphere. Brian said that this cigar is one that you don't need to let it rest because Padron  has already let it rest for 4 years before they are boxed and shipped. Well the good part was I enjoyed the cut, the original smelling of the cigar, the foot was enticing, the cold draw was tasty, and I was excited to light it. I had my torch so I made a good clean light took my original first puffs. As I got going in to the first third of this cigar I was tasting and sampling the flavors and trying to nail down what I was getting, when of course I got a call from a customer and I had to go back to work. I cut the cigar about an inch behind the original light and tried to salvage my smoke to have later. Staying with the good part I sold the car to put food on the table and cigars in the box. The bad I relit the cigar later and it just didn't have the same feeling or taste.I am not going to evaluate it because that would not be fair and I have a reason to smoke another one, I am a the glass is half full kind of guy.

Sunday I played golf we had some rain so I delayed lighting my San Lotano Connecticut til the back nine and finished it on the 17th green. I only have one thing to say, these are great cigars, and right now,   and please remember I am
"the newbie", and still have lots of cigars to try, but these are in my top 5 for sure.

I might have some down time tonight to try a different cigar the problem I have is which one do I try I have so many I haven't smoked yet

Hammer and Sickle Moscow city, Alex Bradley Prensado,Crowned head four kicks, Ghurka Royal challenge,Cain nub 464, Laflor  Dominicano colorado Oscuro, La Aroma Mi Amor,Oliva Masters blend, Tatuaje Reserva, and 7th cape especial......

Anyone want to help me choose?

The Newbie   

No comments: